Figures

Descriptions:

Bequia_webBequia      39″ x 28″

Julia Cairns is a watercolor artist who specializes in paintings with African imagery.  I saw a 2004 calendar of her paintings and fell in love with her work.  I received permission from her to use her designs and made “Bequia” from the February 2004 illustration.  Three different fabrics were used in the background.  I folded the skirt fabric into pleats which enabled me to run a border along the bottom of the dress.  The rooster was great fun to make!  As usual, I used excessive amounts of fusible web.

 

ButterflyBoy_webButterfly Boy      25″ x 20″

This quilt is based on a painting by Julia Cairns called “Butterfly Boy.”  (See the quilt “Bequia” for info on Julia.)  I made this quilt as a present for Julia, whose work has given me such inspiration.  The background is a blouse fabric – the only additions were the two red beetles.  The boy is made of black velvet, and the butterfly uses velvet, gold lame, and gold netting.

 

DanceOfTheFairies_webDance of the Fairies      23″ x 31″

The fairy shapes are from a picture of wrought iron lawn ornaments which I found in a catalog.  I designed the “woods” for them to dance in.  The background includes hand-dyed and hand-painted fabric.  I covered the quilt with dark green netting to tone down the colors.

 

IslandInTheSun_webIsland in the Sun      33″ x 33″

Years of living on a sailboat in the Caribbean were the inspiration for this quilt.  I also wanted to highlight the African-looking fabric.  Most of the figures, including the woman in the center of the quilt, are copies of Matisse’s paper cutouts.  The whales and the palm tree are adapted from stencils.

 

JazzBand_webJazz Band       43″ x 33″

I had used this jazz band in a much smaller quilt, and had always wanted to use the design in a larger quilt.  The black fabric with stars at the top and bottom of the quilt, and the white fabric with stars behind the band, are holigraphic fabrics which sparkle in the light.  The black and white print fabric came from a very large blouse.

 

Mermaid_webMermaid      20″ x 16″

This quilt was designed to feature the hand-painted background fabric, which had been given to me by a friend.  The mermaid is adaped from a stencil.  Her hair is variegated chenille yarn which I couched to the quilt.  Beads and gemstones are used for embellishment.  Her body is made from suede fabrics.

 

Picasso'sHarlequin_webPicasso’s Harlequin      29″ x 23″

This quilt is an adaptation of the painting of a harlequin by Picasso.  Old clothing was used for the fabrics.  The harlequin’s outfit is made from strips of two fabrics that were woven together.  The figure was constructed separately and then attached to the background.  The pieces of lace were the cuffs and collar of an old blouse.  The “hair” is from a black velvet bolero jacket.

 

QueensAreWild_webQueens Are Wild      33″ x 23″

This quilt was the challenge quilt for our local guild show in 1998.  The theme for the challenge was “Wild Women.”  I enlarged a queen of hearts playing card on a photocopier to make the pattern.

 

TreePeople_webTree People      40″ x 27″

“Tree People” started with the batik square containing the three heads.  Three wide strips of fabric were added, one above and two below the square.  To emphasize – and continue – the black lines in the batik, I used strips of black velvet which I fused to the three new fabrics.  Especially at the bottom, they reminded me of roots, which is where the name “Tree People” came from.  I made the border fabric starting with a sheer black blouse which had the shiny circles on it.  I fused pieces of the blouse to a black cotton fabric to produce enough “new” fabric to use for the border.  The three ladies are Ariel, Bianca and Cleo.

 

WaitingForTheBus_webWaiting for the Bus      42″ x 33″

This quilt was inspired by a painting by Julia Cairns called “Waiting for the Bus.”  (See the quilt “Bequia” for info on Julia.)  During our years in the Caribbean, I often stood on corners with the island women, waiting for the bus…. For this quilt, I painted the background foliage using Fabric Brush Markers.  The flowers in the upper left corner were from the “dress fabric” worn by the woman on the right.  From left to right, I’ve named them Dora, Evangeline (with her son Evan) and Frances.

 NEXT PAGE